Sunday, July 13, 2008


Tonight we had an interesting talk with Kiley. Yep, you guessed it we had "the talk." She wanted to know where babies come from, and up till now, we have told her that when a man and woman get married, they pray for a baby, and Heavenly Father sends one if they're ready. This answer was apparently insufficient for a six year old. She wanted to know how He, "just sent them?" I did my best to explain it as rationally as I could. I explained that Heavenly Father does play a huge role, but it is also part of the mom and dad's role. I told her that it involved "special parts," and I reminded her of how sacred this experience was and told her this is why people should be married. I said "um" about 50 thousand times, but all in all I think it came out okay. She was very mature about the whole thing. She listened, giggled a little, asked too many questions, but I think she really understood. Ryan, on the other hand, was listening the whole time with a strange grossed out look. I think this is a touchy subject. I didn't want to wait until they already knew all the wrong things, but I also didn't want to be to graphic. Chris and I reminisced about how we were told and had some laughs. I said that I could borrow a book from a friend of mine, but my mom said her parents used a book, and it horrified her. If any of you have any suggestions for future questions, please post them, and good luck to any one getting ready for this interesting experience.

11 comments:

lofgreenlegacy said...

HAHA! That is hilarious! It must be a girl thing because Kaden hasn't really ever asked such detailed questions. Good job! Sorry I have no advice, I hope Kamri never asks, if she does I'm sending her to you!

Too Legit to Quit! said...

hehehehehe! That is so freakin funny!! She's only 6! Can you imagine the type of questions she'll be asking when she really grows up!AHHHHHH! Parenthood is way to scary! YOu did amazing! Good Job!

Mary Ann said...

wow.. that makes me nervous.. haylee hasn't asked a thing yet.. if so i might have to send her to kiley! :) jk...

TJ Eich said...

Wow! I'm glad I have boys that don't even think about how they smell, let alone how they got here. I'm also lucky that I'll get to defer all such future questions to Daddy!!

The Richards said...

Hey Ash, i know what you can do, send her to mom and dad for a couple of days!!!! You know how they are, when she comes back she will know everything and then just keep sending them up there as they ask. i think lots of our friends learned that way! How embarrassing! i am sure you and Chris did a wonderful job, I am so not looking forward to that, I say we got the baby's from the store!

Alyse Clonts said...

Sounds like you did a great job! I get off easy with teaching...I just say that's something you need to ask your mom and dad about. I listed you as a friend...hope you don't mind. I hope you are doing well!

Curtis Family said...

That's nuts! I wouldn't have known what to say! Cute though! So we are back from Texas! Call me anytime! I am free pretty much every day!

Amy said...

Too funny, Ash! Kylie asked at 4 and the Heavenly Father explanation worked then, but just a couple of months ago we had to have another talk because of some playground talk! I freaked a little but think I got it solved(tell you about it later). You did a great job. Our girls are just too funny and curious about the world around them! Miss you guys.

Allred's said...

Oh My goodness gracious.....I am so not ready to do this. Kyla is 6 as well and so far the Heavenly Father sends one to mommy's tummy...is working....I am seriously not looking forward to this talk at all. Sounds like you did a good job.

Rochelle said...

That is hilarious- but I shouldn't laugh cause I know my day will come, just hopefully later than sooner. Chandler has in his head that they come from Walmart, I guess. When I was pregnant with my last one and told him we were gonna have a new baby, he thought we were going to put Emily in a box and take her back to Walmart and trade her for a new one. Too funny! Good job explaining!

Shawna said...

Oh my gosh! Hunter is 8 and hasn't really cared too much about it! It must be the girl thing! Haha! I dont know what I will do when my boys want to know! Lol! Oh and guess what! Its a BOY!!!!!!